Monday 25 March 2013

Week 27: Adding Worms


Weekly Centres


Oval Art
After learning about ovals (and refreshing our memory of the other shapes), we created Oval Art using foam backgrounds and construction paper shapes.

___ +  ____ = 5
With the number 5 drawn in a circle, we drew pictures of items that added up to five.

Sight Word Tornado
Using a top and a simple graph, we worked on learning three new sight words - as, are and on.

Books We Read
Rosie's Passover Story
Diary of an Earthworm
Life of an Earthworm
 
Song of the Week
These Are The Shapes I Know (NOW WITH OVALS!)

These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.
Count the sides! Only one! It’s a circle, round and fun!
These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.
Count the sides! Only three! A triangle, so pointy!
These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.
Count the sides! Four the same! Square, square, that’s it’s name!
Count the sides! 2 short, two long! It’s a rectangle, let's move along!
These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.
Take a circle!  Stretch it out!  OVAL!  OVAL! We all shout!
These are the shapes I know, I know.  These are the shapes I know.

Other Things We Did
We spent time working on our letter I and letter J.

We met our Red Wrigglers, the worms we're keeping in our class this week, and made predictions about what they would do to a box full of carrots, peppers and blueberries over the course of a week.

We started learning about the plus and equal signs and how to do some simple addition to five, using blocks, toys, and even ourselves!

We learned about what earthworms do in their life, learning terms like "burrow" and "castings". 

We figured out the difference between "Fiction" and "Non-Fiction", comparing a silly story based on worms (Diary of an Earthworm) against a fact-based book (Life of an Earthworm)

We started doing our "Reading Club" station doing "Drop Everything And Read", where our colour groups would co-read a variety of levelled books.

Our Reading Buddies read us a book that they made, "A is for Reading Buddies", which they presented in their classroom on the third floor!  Based on "A is for Musk Ox", here are the slides they put together for our class!

We did an Egg Hunt & Hide on Friday!  Everybody had to search for eggs around the room, open them, and read the name inside, using first letters as clues to find their owner.  Once they figured out who they belonged to, they returned the egg to their owner, who then hid it again until somebody else found it and returned it! 



































No comments:

Post a Comment