Sunday 27 January 2013

Week 19: 2D Shapes

Books We Read
Martin's Big Words
Elliot Jones, Midnight Superhero

Song of the Week
These are the Shapes I Know
Sung to the tune of "These are the Daves I know"
 
These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.
Count the sides! Only one! It’s a circle, round and fun!
These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.
Count the sides! Only three! A triangle, so pointy!
These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.
Count the sides! Four the same! Square, square, that’s it’s name!
Count the sides! 2 short, two long! It’s a rectangle to end the song
These are the shapes I know, I know. These are the shapes I know.

Weekly Centres
Printing
We worked on the letter "W" this week, using the "V" we did last week as a base.

Shapes & Data Management
We went back to our graphing activity, but this time we sorted triangles, rectangles, squares and circles into columns.  Then, we figured out which one we used the most and which one we used the least.

Snowflake Art
Using q-tips, glitter, plastic wrap and gule, we created snowflakes that we used to decorate our classroom windows.

Sight Word Tornado
With a small top, a plastic bin and six sight words, we did a graphing activity where we spun the top, saw where it landed, and recorded the word on a tracking sheet.

Sandbox Shape Sorting
We had circles, rectangles, squares and triangles buried in our sandbox and we had to dig to find them, then sort them into different bins.

Other Things We Did

We talked about fairness and if it was okay to exclude people because of the way that they look.  We decided that it wasn't.

We talked about our four simple 2D shapes and figured out the difference between a square and a rectangle.  We then used that information to find out if our gym was a square or a rectangle. 

We worked a bit with our "o" sounds, figuring out the difference between words like "no" and "do".

We saw Mr. Hanson three times this week!  So many stories, so many books!

No comments:

Post a Comment