Tuesday 15 October 2013

Week 7: G-Leaf-ully back!

Books We Read
The Grumpy Bird
All By Myself

Song of the Week
Scarecrow Dan
I am funny old scarecrow Dan!
I flip and I flop like a scarecrow can.
I move my arms.
I move my wrists.
I move my legs.
And a shake my fists!
I bend way down.
And I bend way back.
I jump up and down like a jumping jack!
I stand real still and I don't make a sound.
Then I sit back down upon the ground.

Weekly Centres

GLeaves!
We put some of our leaf collection to good use this week, creating happy little leaves after Mr. McCullough taught us that the word "glee" is another word for happy!  We painted our leaves using autumn colours, then bent a red pipe cleaner into a smile, added some googly eyes and then "mounted" them on a paper plate.  The result was pretty funny!

Sight Word Magnet Mania
Using last week's sight words of and and to, as well as our brand new sight words, on and is, we used magnet letters to make each sight word as many different times as possible.

My Own Five Line
After a quick reminder on number order, we made our own number lines from 1 to 5, using poster board, paper numbers and glue sticks!  We'll be using these number lines next week once we learn a bit more about five frames!

The Letter B
We're working on the letter "B" this week.  Like all of our letters, we're starting at the TOP, moving down, frog jumping back to the TOP and then making two "bumps" to get down to the bottom, all words that we figured out started with B!

Other Things We Did
Mr. McCullough introduced us to the five frame!  Some of us thought it was a hopscotch course at first, but after we figured out it wasn't, we learned the first way we could use a five frame, which was ordering numbers.  We'll be learning different ways over the next few weeks!  We also matched items to numbers in the five frame when it was all mixed up!

On Tuesday, everybody got to plant a daffodil bulb in our kinder garden!  Once spring happens, we'll get to see the beautiful yellow daffodils in bloom!

We put our Jolly Jingle letters (S A T I P and N) into a six-letter word that we were using this week - PAINTS!!!  More words to come!

We figured out the word sounds that start "egg" and "hop" and added them to our song repertoire!


No comments:

Post a Comment