Monday 29 October 2012

Week 8: Investigating Pumpkins

Books We Read

How Many Seeds Are In A Pumpkin?
Feathertop
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Poem of the Week
Scarecrow Dan

I am silly old Scarecrow Dan.
I flip and I flop like a scarecrow can!
I move my arms.
I move my wrists.
I shake my legs
And I shake my fists!
I lean way down
And I lean way back.
I jump up and down like a jumping jack!
I stand real still and don't make a sound.
Then, I sit back down upon the ground!

Centres
Language
We did a big practice session of all of the letters we've learned to write this year in preparation for writing the next part of our monthly portfolio.

Sight Words & Sorting
We sorted seven sight words - a, the, on, is, and, in, of - matching small strips of paper to much larger word cards.

Art
We drew what were we are going to be (or what we think we are going to be) for Halloween.

Building Bins
Students were challenged to use the materials in our building bins to reach one end of the carpet to the other.

Sand Table
Students made sand castles but also discovered items like marbles and bones in the sandbox.

Other Things
We learned how to predict how many seeds are in a pumpkin based on its size and colour.

We predicted if pumpkins would float or sink.

We also predicted how many seeds we would find in a pumpkin.


By trial and error, we figured out the difference in size between a small pumpkin and a medium pumpkin by using snap cubes.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! I'm going to use the "How's your engine" at home.

    ReplyDelete